Their thin seed hulls are soft, very fragrant, super nutritious and excellent in salads.
How to grow sprouts:
Rinse the seeds with cool water and allow them to drain. Place the seeds in a bowl or a jar, fill with water and soak the seeds in a cool place at room temperature for up to eight hours. Once the seeds have been soaked, the germination process begins. Rinse and drain the seeds two to three times a day until they have sprouted, storing them in a cool cupboard or room. Start harvesting the sprouts when they reach anywhere between two to five centimetres which are usually after 4 days.
- Germination: 3 to 4 days
- Maturity: 5 to 10 days
- Ideal conditions: all year variety, full sun
Download the Starke Ayres Sprouting Guide.
A few top tips for sprouting is to make sure your equipment is always clean before you start. Only use seeds which are specifically sold as sprouting seeds. Find a light, airy spot for your sprouts - you'll need good airflow and consistent light (not in direct sunlight). And eat them while they are fresh.
Alfalfa sprouts add texture, moisture and crunch to a variety of raw or cooked meals. The shoots are thin, delicate, flexible and succulent with a crispy consistency.
* Germination: 5 to 6 days
* Maturity: 5 to 10 days
* Ideal conditions: All year variety, full sun
Seeds per packet: 1g
Starke Ayres GMO Declaration
* Starke Ayres does not research, produce or procure any form of Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) products.
* In South Africa, all our seed is regulated by the Genetically Modified Organisms Act of 1997 (GMO Act) and its subsidiary legislation. The GMO Act places extensive restrictions on the research, production, and marketing of GMOs.
* Maize, soybean, and cotton represent the only crops where genetically modified (GM) forms have been approved for commercial production in South Africa. Where there is potential for cross-contamination, for example with our sweetcorn seed (which could be impacted by nearby GM maize), we do certify our seed as non-GMO in both our internal and external accredited laboratories